Really serious about staying out of airplanes now. Two airplane trips this year. A low key summer not feeling terrific. Lots of time doing more local stuff and not regretting it at all.
Here is the short list of places. Four states. Stars indicate multiple visits to the exact same place. Past years: 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008 2007, 2006, 2005.
- Westport MA* – here most of the summer, in many of the beds
- Stow MA* – visiting my sister
- Cambridge MD – a great quickie trip to a great conference
- Meredith NH – another great location for a conference, less-great hotel
- Grafton VT – weird old inn, intensive conference
- Burlington VT – staying with friends for an overnight for a humanities conference
- Tampa FL – really quirky AirBnB with lovely folks
This picture is actually my sister’s bed, which I did not sleep in, because I was bad at taking photos this year. This was the year I said “No more travel!” after the summertime and mostly meant it. I did only three airplane trips this year and actually forgot to take a photo of the most exotic place I stayed, a sort of dorm room situation in Hawai’i. I wish I could say I enjoyed all this travel but it was sort of a down year for me and I didn’t rise to it. I took good pictures and I generally had that “Sitting in the backyard wrapped in a blanket” feeling to a lot of it. Sort of safe and comfortable but also sort of pining for home.
Here are all the places. Four states. Two provinces. Stars indicate multiple visits to the exact same place. Past years: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008 2007, 2006, 2005.
- Boxboro MA* – here a lot doing various cleaning things. I do love this room.
- Westport MA* – here most of the summer and many of the holidays
- Toronto ON – wanted to stay at a friends but he was very sick and this trip was both enjoyable and a total bummer
- Montréal QC – my friends’ new house, super fun
- Brooklyn NY – the funniest looking bed with the best hosts
- Manoa HI – ups and downs here, I wish this excellent place was not right next to a bus stop
- Canandaigua NY – -this was a good trip but I should have stayed in a little motel
- Stow MA* – Kate got the guestroom up and running again! Always great to stay here
- Washington DC – a funny little hotel right by the train
Last year I spent a lot of time away from home but it wasn’t great for travel per se. I spent nearly two solid month’s at my mom’s place before and after she died. I can’t quite say that I enjoyed it, but being in one place, in that place, was useful for me. 2018 is going to be a year of less travel I think. I’ve got two airplane trips planned and I’m not planning to add any more.
Here are all the places. Seven states. Three provinces. Stars indicate multiple visits to the exact same place. Past years: 2016, 2015, 2014, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008 2007, 2006, 2005.
- Niceville FL – a great way to kick off the year with some sunshine and friendly librarians
- Cambridge MA* – Deb’s place is always good for the soul
- Toronto ON – a weird AirBnB and a great visit
- Toronto ON – Gabe’s duplex was a better resting place
- Stow MA* – chilling post-Superbowl at Kate’s
- Westport MA* – planned to spend more time here than I actually did
- Montreal QC – a catsit and a trip that was supposed to be a vacation with Jim
- Crystal City VA – a fun library conference and a chance to see a lot of library friends
- Washington DC – MeFites put me up and showed me the town, so lovely
- Brooklyn NY* – wound up here twice, the couch is fine but the love is great
- Brooklyn NY – hamsters!
- Weir’s Beach NH – Fun Spot was one of the year’s highlights
- Cambridge MA – another catsit, another funny little bed
- Concord NH – I spent a lot of time sleeping not far from home
- Boxboro MA* – moved in and did not leave for a while
- Edmonton AB – a great conference center
- Edmonton AB – the swank apartment of an old family friend
- Baraboo WI – place was as weird as it seems but the conference was grand
- Saratoga Springs NY – Liked this Hilton, loved this conference
Here are photos of the places I slept in 2016. I only took airplanes twice for travel last year (once to London and points south and once to San Francisco) so a lot of these places are closer to home. There was also a treehouse. And a very fancy hotel in Boston. And a place with no running water up a mountain near me. And one redeye flight. Lots of multiple visits. Two real vacations. Summer at #dadshouse. Twenty-seven places that were not my place or a family member’s place. You can tell I’ve ramped up traveling when you compare it to last year.
Eleven states. Three UK locations. Stars indicate multiple visits to the exact same place. AirBnB links for your convenience. Past years: 2015, 2014, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008 2007, 2006, 2005.
- Boston at the Waterfront Westin – right by ALA
- Cambridge at Deb’s house* – comes with excellent cats
- Washington DC at the Saint Gregory – a porch I wish I used more
- Washington DC at Mary Early’s place – small and quiet, escaped right before Snowmageddon
- Westport MA* – I think I have slept in four or five beds in this house this year
- Washington DC Hilton – excellent hotel, got a terrible cold by having the AC on for a week
- Amherst MA – did a panel at my alma mater (Hampshire) and stayed with friends
- Stow MA* – Kate’s house, always love staying here
- Braintree VT – there was a humming noise at my house so I stayed at a friend’s place for a little bit
- Dunbarton NH – Treehouse! Sounded more fun than it was. (AirBnB link)
- Albany NY – the start of the “weird AirBnB places” road trip (AirBnB link)
- Buffalo NY – where I learned to sleep with an AC unit three feet from my head (AirBnB link)
- Huron OH – stayed in two different rooms, great place, noisy train
- Gary IN – a great little place right near the beach (AirBnB link)
- Chicago IL – Eamon Daly’s Murder Room
- Zwingle IA – a town of 91 people (AirBnB link)
- Michigan City IN – a weird motel but I liked it!
- Barkeyville PA – sort of a trailer, sort of the best AirBnB we stayed in (AirBnB link)
- London UK – more odd AirBnBs, this one had a library thing going on (AirBnB link)
- Okehampton UK – fancy but not my kind of fancy (AirBnB link)
- Windsor UK – near the airport, strictly decent and small (AirBnB link)
- Boston MA – why wasn’t this place better? It looks amazing.
- Painted Post NY – looks like not much but was the best!
- Burlington VT – staying with friends before a flight
- San Francisco CA – weird but my kind of place (AirBnB link)
- Berkeley CA – the au pair’s room
- Airplane – redeye on the way home
- Salisbury NH – my librarian pal’s house where I watched the Cubs win
- Cambridge MA – Sheraton Commander is a great hotel
Here are photos of the places I slept in 2015. Another short list. Now that I’ve solidly put my dad’s place on the my “projects and hobbies” todo list, I travel to other non-dad’s-place places less. So even though I didn’t go to too many places in 2015, I was away from home for several months. Which was fine.
Here’s the short list. Twelve places plus an airplane, six different states, one non-US country. Stars indicate multiple visits to the exact same place. Past years: 2014, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008 2007, 2006, 2005.
- Stow MA* – stayed at Kate’s place quite a few times, very nice guestroom, constantly improving.
- Aboard a British Airways flight – we got upgraded to business class, very nice.
- London UK – I got the bottom bunk in the tiny bunk bed room and found it quite to my liking.
- Westport MA* – stayed in a few different beds in this house (three? five?) and was here most of the summertime
- Raleigh NC – visited Steve and Heather and went on an actual vacation
- Amherst MA – saw Matthew and Michelle on my way down to Connecticut
- Groton CT – decided to stay in an AirBnB instead of a hotel, it was … fun and weird (and htis is me deciding to sleep in a hallway, the place itself is quite nice)
- Burlington VT* – saw Dave and Linda when I was in Vermont for VLA and again for ComicCon
- Boxboro MA – visited Mom when I was planning to stay in a hotel with Jim and the hotel was full of children. Good decision.
- Bangor Maine (2) – gave a talk to a bunch of fun librarians and had SO many pillows. Stayed at a hotel across the street the next time.
- Pasadena CA (2) – stayed with a friend and then at a snazzy hotel while I was there for CLA
Here are photos of the places I slept in 2014. I know I didn’t keep photo-track of the guestrooms I stayed in during 2013, but I didn’t know it had been so long since I’d made a blog post about them. A few years? I’ve been traveling less (and enjoying it more) so a lot of last year was just me going to Westport or my sister’s place. A few notable trips: first visit to London and an epic journey to Mackinac Island.
Here’s the list, it’s short. I decided to stop talking about traveling less and just … travel less. Sixteen places, six different states, two non-US countries. Stars indicate multiple visits to the exact same place. Past years: 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008 2007, 2006, 2005.
Westport MA* – visting/summering
Sun City West AZ – to see Jim’s folks
Manhattan, NY – library talk
Brooklyn NY – returning from library talk & visiting
Stow MA* – visting
Amherst MA – memorial service
Kewadin MI – Michael’s house
St Ignace MI – en route to talk
Mackinac Island MI – library talk
Montreal QC – heading home from library talk
Duluth MN – library talk
Ashfield MA – library talk
London UK – Wikimania
Brandon VT – wedding
Vicksburg MS – library talk
Sturbridge MA – library talk
Here is where I stayed this year. Last year I said I’d be working towards less travel. And my travel-for-work was down significantly. However my travel-for-family was up a lot [for both good and bad reasons] and that seemed to level it out. Ninety-nine days away from home. Almost all of it in Massachusetts, but a few visits to Michigan and Texas and Maine. Did not leave the country.
As before, stars indicate multiple visits to the same place. Numbers indicate number of distinct guestrooms at each geographic location. Different beds in the same house are, for all intents and purposes, one “guestroom” but perhaps multiple photos. Past years: 2010, 2009, 2008 2007, 2006, 2005.
Belmont, MA *
Westport, MA *
Austin, TX (3)
Cambridge, MA (2)
Portland, OR (2)
Hood River, OR
Bar Harbor, ME
Ann Arbor, MI
Grand Rapids, MI